Saturday, 17 May 2014

Rainy Day Rock & Roll


Today the sky was charcoal grey and alive with rumbling clouds. The only way to drown out the sound of rain was to blast my favorite album until the sun came out to dance.

My mom used to make the house shake, playing A Hard Day's Night until we knew all the songs by heart. I proudly told anyone who bothered to ask (and quite a few who didn't) that the Beatles were my favorite band. I wore my faded T-shirt until it was fraying at the seams. And I still tear up every time I watch John, Paul, George and Ringo, black and white and barely older than I am now, running around a field while Can't By Me Love plays in the background. The Beatles' early years, their tongue-in-cheek-and-screaming-fans pop music that makes you tap your feet like a metronome, are the mental soundtrack of my childhood.

Which is why I was so surprised when my brother admitted that he didn't know how to flip a record. If the music didn't bug the neighbours, I'm pretty sure my yelling "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT'S A BASIC LIFE SKILL HOW ARE YOU ALMOST TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD" repeatedly down the hall did the trick. Then I cradled the record, turned it over, and softly touched down the needle... and proceeded to dance around the living room, barefoot and skirt twirling, and it was his turn to be embarrassed.

This is something a little new - an outfit of the day (or ootd as the kids are calling it) - because red lipstick, circle skirts and my four favorite British lads never fail to make a rainy day absolutely rock. Happy Saturday!

Dress / Forever 21
Hat / Thrifted

No comments:

Post a Comment