Thursday, 15 May 2014

Ode to Pretty Words


I remember being taught how to write in cursive. We were given stacks of worksheets, one after another crammed with loops and bumps and letters that my teacher tried in vain to convince us were actually English. First grade was rough, that's for sure.

Today, handwriting is one of my very favorite things. I love how the letters flow together, creating a constant stream of thoughts and ideas. There's something romantic about cursive that print or type will never match. Handwritten notes from faraway lovers. Handwritten initials spelled out in the sand. Whispers, I do believe, must escape from our mouths in delicate swirls and spindly handwriting.

Typography - art made from words - has been my obsession for the past few weeks. Combine that with watercolour pastels and you have my first attempt some word art of my own. Emily Dickinson + hand painted coffee stains. I am painfully amateur, but if feels good to give my handwriting room to play.

Jasmine Dowling, on the other hand, is the queen of cursive. Graphic designer, artist, and style blogger extraordinaire, she told Cupcake, an Australian women's fashion blog, that her love of handwriting started young. Powerful wisdom pours from her hands in thick black strokes, complete with all the loops and curves that I do so adore. She can transform a simple design from pencil to paint to print in an hour and a half. And she spends her free time exploring Brisbane and dressing like a freaking model. If you aren't in awe yet, visit her instagram at @jasminedowling and you will be.

Check out her shop and designs here and enjoy your weekend with five simple words at your back:

No comments:

Post a Comment