Sunday, 2 March 2014

My Name in Print

Once upon a time, my university had a newspaper. And every week that newspaper would put out a new issue, full of fascinating stories, strong opinions and clever humor that made Erika go, "Wow. I would really like to write for the Peak."

The cycle continued for many months until one day someone asked little Erika, "Why don't you just do it?" 

Well, something snapped in our brave heroine that day. She stayed up until two in the morning frantically typing words that she was sure would never see the light of day. But a few of them made it into an email to an editor and big things happened (as things tend to do when the universe is feeling particularly generous). After a lot of editing and anxiety, our little Erika got published.


Bottom right corner? Yup, that's me.

I know it's just a letter to the editor. But it made me some kind of confident-daring-CRAZY and inspired me to keep writing. I have a food review coming out in next week's paper and a news piece after that. I actually interviewed someone - recorded it and everything. I felt incredibly out of place and way too excited to sit down and formulate logical questions (which is probably why I cringe when I hear my voice on the recording... Learning process?) but I did it. I did it and I'm determined that I will keep on doing it for the rest of the semester and then some.

I'm so excited to finally be accomplishing something that I've wanted to for a very, very long time. Seeing my name in print is equal parts terrifying and exhilarating, but the absolute best part was when a friend of mine sent me this:


I made someone's fridge, guys. I am beyond honoured and so happy to have weeks full of good friends and big things. Spring is bringing changes. I can feel it. And honestly, how was I supposed to resist:

No comments:

Post a Comment