Monday, 13 January 2014

Made with ♥ Monday: Cinnamon Roll Scones

My perpetual downfall, in life as in scones, seems to be that I don't quite know when to quit.

That's why I ask people, "How are you?" when we run into each other on the way to class and end up having to yell "Good, thanks, and yourself?" over our shoulders because a simple hey just wasn't enough.

That's why, once I'm really hugging someone, it'll take a forklift or at least an incredibly awkward amount of back-patting and contented sighs (entirely on my part, let's face it) to make me let go.

And that's why, as seems to be the natural way of the universe, my scones are always ALWAYS dense. But, my friends, I have news. I have hope. I have, sitting on a plate next to me, the impossible.

I made fluffy scones. And not just any scones. Cinnamon roll scones, for the cinnamon bun addict (namely me) who just can't wait for dough to rise. Continue reading and share in the wonder that is:

Cinnamon Roll Scones
original recipe here

Scones:

2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch of salt
6 Tablespoons cold butter
1 cup buttermilk

Filling:

2 Tablespoons softened butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Whisk together your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then add the butter, preferably cut into cubes, and work it in with your fingers until the whole thing looks crumbly and delicious (well, at this point, not really. But soon, I swear).

Add the buttermilk and mix only until everything sticks together. If you're like me, this is incredibly hard. Resist the temptation to work in every last bit of flour. It's difficult, but it's worth it.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead into a rectangle that's about 8x11 (think sheet of paper size, or, if you have piles of homework and reading from the first week of your second semester, use one of your many syllabuses--syllabi?!--for reference!). I ended up using a rolling pin, totally convinced that my scones were going to come out rock hard, but, due to some kind of freaky black magic and/or pacts with the devil, they didn't! (I may or may not have promised some nefarious character my first born child in exchange for this baking miracle. So worth it.)

Spread the softened butter over your dough then sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon over top. Try to get it everywhere (including your mouth, if necessary). Sprinkle a little water or milk along one edge then, starting from the opposite edge, roll it loosely to form a log and press to seal.

Slice your happy delicious cinnamon log into 8 pieces, put them on a baking sheet and pop it into the oven at 400F for 17 to 20 minutes. Personally, feeling a little impatient, I took them out right at the 17 minute mark to check (just do the old fork-batter test) and the bottoms were already a tiny bit burnt! Oh no! Just goes to show you can never be too quick to eat scones.

Let them cool, grab a book (if you're super lucky, something that isn't a textbook!), curl up and welcome the week in the best kind of way. Happy Monday and lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment