Friday, 15 November 2013

Gratitude

I have been having a rough couple of days. The kind of days when you look in the mirror and you don't want to be that person anymore, but you can't seem to do anything about it. The kind of days when you feel so trapped in your own skin that it seems unnecessarily painful to get out of bed in the morning. The kind of days when your devilish, self-defeating survival instinct encourages you to arm yourself with biting words and sharp thoughts about that creature in the mirror who insists on wearing your face.

The only solution I've found is gratitude.

I know this isn't exactly earth-shattering news, but sometimes accepting all the anxiety and depression and choosing to focus on other things instead is the only way I can move forward. So each day I keep a running list of the good things. The things I have to be grateful for.

Yesterday:
  1. Awkward jokes over breakfast
  2. Clicky heels
  3. Cozy sweaters
  4. Learning new languages
  5. Pajamas (always)
  6. Ice skating
  7. Welcoming winter
So that's it. The rain is back and my room is cozy and warm. Some days are good and some days are less good but I am trying my very best to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment